Friday, September 11, 2015

She Leaks!

Unfortunately, once back at the house, I learned that my new Horse still leaked from the axle seals.  One side had a pretty steady drip, so I  had to prop it up on its side for a couple of weeks until I addressed the issue.

One of the recommendations from a Horse manual was to add grease to the outside, so I tried that...but to no avail.  The gear oil still seeped through.  Hmm.  I had a messy problem.

Also, I noticed that the entire tiller slid back and forth on the axle.  It probably slid back and forth about an inch...definitely too much.  I showed it to Dad, and he took the tiller in his hands and moved the handlebars to the left...then to the right.  The entire tiller slid back and forth on the axle!

NOT good!

I did a little bit of research and realized that behind the oil seals I replaced were bushings, washers, and snap rings.  I also realized that in order to get to them that I'd have to completely pull out my brand-new oil seals!  Agh, what a waste!

I headed to the local repair shop and inquired about the axle issue.  The very unkind gentleman told me that the tiller was probably shot.  That inside the gears were probably worn.  He never mentioned any snap ring.  He was so unhelpful.

I asked another guy at the same shop who didn't seem to know much either.  He said it could be ANYTHING.  Well, of course it could...but what do you THINK that it is?  Again, no help.  So I headed home and went to the helpful online forums.  I tell you, sometimes the strangers behind the internet are more help than anything.

From what I read, most recommended checking on the snap rings.  A transmission repair manual also mentioned that more likely than not a snap ring was broken if the tiller slid back and forth horizontally on the axle.  So I decided to tear it apart!

I painfully ripped off the $14 worth of oil seals.  Burn that money!  I must admit I was a bit nervous about the "internals" inside the transmission being worn, but I just had to check the outside first.  I started with the right side first, and unfortunately, the snap ring was in good shape.  No such luck.

With Dad's help, I propped up the tiller on a ramp and removed the left side oil seal.  Unfortunately, the snap ring was in good shape and in the groove.  Agh, what could it be?!

After more research, I realized that washers were needed to stop the side-to-side motion.  The parts list called them shims.  So I called around.  No one had shims.  Hmm.  I headed to the repair shop again to pick up seals but decided to take one of the washers with me to check out the hardware aisle.  And much to my surprise (and excitement!), I found the EXACT washers I needed.  They were called bushings.  Fine by me.  I grabbed four.

I picked up the oil seals and headed for home.

The washers slid right on perfectly.  I mean, a perfect fit!  I replaced the seals and tapped them in correctly this time with a pipe.  I was able to shim the axle so that very little play existed.  It took two of the washers.  The other two went on the outside of the snap rings to protect the seal from being cut (learned by reading the manual!).  I tested the side-to-side play.  Negligible!

I was ecstatic!

Replacing the oil seals and shims.  I had nearly an inch of play side-to-side.  Here is a washer, the snap-ring, a washer, and the oil seal (purchased a few weeks ago but damaged when removing).
Because the manual told me to till for a few hours after filling up the transmission with gear oil, I elected to hold off on filling it up until I had an opportunity to till.  The last thing I wanted (or needed) was to have more leaks in my garage!  I am dropping kitty litter all over as it is!  I guess the oil seals kind of mold to the axle over time, and leaks are to be expected after initially replacing the seals.  Interesting.

But the tiller is tight!  I mean, it played a LOT back and forth.  And now it's tight.  It probably helps the tiller all-around.  Less wear and tear.

I just can't wait to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. I am restoring a 1974 Horse tiller. I will be renewing the drive oil seals and the tine oil seals. I might even do the front transmission oil seal since the unit is so old and has not been operated in about 30 years. Not fooling with the engine, putting a new one on. I have been stripping some of the metal parts, priming, and later I will repaint with TroyBilt Red.

    ReplyDelete