Saturday, September 19, 2015

Another Pony!

It's officially an addiction.  A gentleman finally responded to my ad about me looking for a tine shield for my Troy-Bilt Pony.  Because I had already built a tine shield of my own, I didn't really need this parts tiller.

But as he talked, it sounded like I had a viable candidate for a flip or restoration.  He told me he had a Troy-Bilt Pony at least 20 years old but possibly 30 years old.  He told me it had a seized engine.  He just wanted to get rid of it.

Unfortunately, he was 85 miles away from me.  I asked him what he needed to get out of it, and he said $100.

Hmm...$100 for a Troy-Bilt?  After talking it over with my Dad, I decided I (we) had nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon, so we headed north to pick up a Pony!

Frankly, when we arrived, the tiller looked like a hunk o' junk.  It was in pretty poor condition cosmetically.  It appeared to all be there, but it was old.  It looked like it may have sat outside for a time in the elements.  It was faded.  It was...well, as Dad put it...junk.

The hunk o' junk.

The tiller is rusty.  Faded.  Old.  It needs some work...a LOT of work.
But I bought it.  :)

Based off the engine numbers, I learned it was a 1982 Pony.  It had the coveted electric start, so it has some potential.  I just can't wait to get this thing going.  It REALLY does need work.

The original 1982 Briggs and Stratton 5HP engine.
The tiller comes with an electric start!
But those are the best types of restorations:  pieces of junk that are brought back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment