Friday, September 11, 2015

Painting the Entire Tiller!

After yesterday's success in painting the engine (and what a difference that made!), I decided to tackle the WHOLE tiller.  I just couldn't have the engine outdo the tiller itself!  But first I had a BIG problem.  I had to get the years and years and years of dirt and dust and grime off the cast-iron frame.

That involved old-fashioned elbow grease.  I had powerwashed the loose stuff last week, but this was CAKED on the frame.  I had to scrape, chip, scrub, and chisel the remaining dirt.  It was almost as if it was part of the frame!

That dirt was CAKED on there!


It required old-fashioned scraping and sanding.
After that was all done, I taped and taped and taped.  I wanted to make sure that red paint didn't end up in places I didn't want it!  I taped the handlebars, knobs, engine accessories, axles, linkages, and belts.  I also removed the tine shield as it was already in near-perfect condition being somewhat new.  Now it was time to paint.

Taping off all the extremities.
I made sure to cover up my garage floor (but time would tell me I didn't do THAT good of a job of that!) and started spraying.  The hardest part was waiting in between coats, but because I wanted the paint job to last, I waited in between.

I was amazed at how the tiller transformed before my very eyes.  I mean, all of a sudden this "ugly ol' beast" became a mostly-modern tiller!  It still looked old, but it looked old in the best of ways!  It looked old as in "built right," but it now had a sense of pride to it!

Painting the tiller!

She is looking great!

The tiller is transforming!

The new girl!

I am beyond thrilled!

I was quite simply thrilled.  I obviously painted the tires, too.  Unfortunately, all this work did is make me want to keep the tiller for good!  I simply don't have a garden big enough for the tiller, but I called up Dad and told him I want to have first shot at tilling his 20 tomato plants!

Needless to say, I am very proud of this restoration.  I just can't wait to use it in a real garden!!!

The beautiful 1977 Troy-Bilt Horse!

She never looked so good!

I never realized just how much bigger the Horse was than the Pony!  Maybe the Pony next?!
Now...if I can only find a way to transform that ugly gas tank!

3 comments:

  1. Krylon makes spray paint for plastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!! I have a late 70s that's my grandfathers I'm gonna start overhauling.. needs new bolo times and what not..

    What paint did you use and is it International Red?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Joshua asked above, what kind of paint did you use and what color?

    ReplyDelete