Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I Acquired a Pony!

It's funny just how much one's plans can change.  While on the road for business, I spotted a Troy-Bilt Pony tiller for sale for $100.  The craigslist post said it ran but needed some work.  I was sold on it!  I called my parents and asked them to make the short 10-minute drive for me.  They paid the guy, and seeing as how he wanted the tiller out of his garage, he actually offered to deliver the tiller for free to my house!  Perfect.  Tiller purchased from 600 miles away!

Once back home, the FIRST thing I noticed was the lack of a tine shield.  I was ecstatic to have a tiller for $100, but my oh my, this is a pretty important piece!  It basically protects your feet from being chopped up by the tines...AND allows the dirt to pile up in perfect fertile soil style.  I needed one.

I posted a craigslist ad looking for a junk Pony tiller for parts.  I received no responses.  I asked what it would cost at the local small engine parts store to buy a shield...turns out these aren't even made anymore!  So I did the next best thing:

Dad let me know that he had a piece of junk shelving at his work.  I went by and picked up a piece of steel shelving and headed home.  I sized it up to the tiller, then started making some cuts.  I picked up some red spray paint, as well.

The scrap metal shelf.

I had to fold down the edges as it was bent at 90-degree angles on top and bottom.
I picked up a piano-style hinge from the hardware store and drilled eight holes in the tine shield that still existed.  Then I attached it all together.  Frankly, I am rather pleased with how it all turned out.  The Horse is quite honestly much to big of a tiller for my garden, and the Pony is the perfect fit.  I'm in love with the Horse, but in terms of practicality, the Pony just fits my neighborhood yard much better.  The white didn't match very well, so I had some painting to do, but I was happy that the kinda useless and dangerous tiller was now ready to till!

Sizing it up before adding the hinge.

The tiller already looks better! AND my feet are safe!

After adding the hinge.  Ready for paint!
I learned it's a 1979 model.  As far as not running correctly, literally the only thing I needed to do was adjust the carburetor screw.  It didn't run very well at high RPM's, but this screw makes it run flawlessly now.  I threw on a few coats of some bright red paint, and I couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out.  The Pony is ready to till!!!

The new tine shield!

I guessed as to the size of the flap, and after Dad measured his, I was within one inch of being correct!  But it works perfectly and should work perfectly, too!
While I'm excited to work on the Horse, this pick-up is a welcome addition to my collection!  I now have a perfect-sized tiller for my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment