Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Purchase

I let Dad in on my Horse hunt.  He said he'd tag along on the half-hour drive out west.  It's always nice to have him along for the drive...and furthermore, it involved a Troy-Bilt tiller, so he HAD to join!  The drive was absolutely picturesque.  It was a half-hour drive out on country roads, and the crops were just beautiful.  I hadn't been out in the country for some time, and I was just eating it up.

Dad asked how much the guy was asking.  I told him I didn't know!  I was serious!  The owner just said to make him an offer.  I didn't want to offend him, and I also didn't want to buy a piece of junk that was going to require a lot of money.  So I told Dad my number was $200.  I thought that to be fair for a Horse in unknown condition.

Troy-Bilt is a mainstay in our family.  A few weeks ago, Dad told me that his dad (my grandpa) owned a Troy-Bilt Pony.  I was so convinced it was a Horse (I remember it being big), so our little wager had to be settled.  Dad called his brother who now had the tiller in his own garage, and he settled the score for us:  It was indeed a Pony.  Agh!!!  Then why did I swear it was a Horse?!  I'm not fully convinced.  :)  Grandpa's Pony dated to the 1970's...and it was still running!

We arrived at the exact minute we had planned (5:30 P.M.), and the owner showed us the BEAST.  I don't know what I was expecting, but this tiller was bigger than my wildest imaginations.  I had grown up tilling with the Pony, and this tiller was simply no comparison.  The tires were huge, the engine sat up high, and the hunk of metal (that's what it looks like!) just commands a presence.

The owner let us know that he had tilled with it this spring, but that when he went to start it this time, it had no spark.  I figured it was the points and condenser, but I played shy.  "Ok, so it doesn't run..."  Let the gravity of those words sink in before saying anything else.

I walked around it, talked about the Pony in our family, and just played the ever-so-fun game of buying from an individual.  It really is a dance.  Both guys know it, and you just have to play the game.  He wanted me to throw out my offer.  Dad told me to start low if I wanted to get it for $200...he said start at $150.  But the tiller did look in good shape.  The owner was also throwing in the hiller/furrower, a piece he said was selling for $100 alone on eBay.

"Would you take $175 for it as-is"?  Atta boy.  Even in your offer, throw out the fact that it does not run.  It's all in the emphasis on the sentence.  Not offensive, just factual.  PLAY THE GAME!!!

"Well, I was really wanting to get $200 out of it..."  He didn't say anything else.  Neither did I.  He stood silent, letting me know the ball was in my court.  I stayed silent in thought, not letting him know that inside I was actually celebrating the fact that my $200 goal was met!  That the drive wasn't a waste!  That Dad who stood silently letting me play the game knew we had a deal even before I said anything!  Oh, what a fun game!

"I'll take it.  I assume cash works?"  And with that, the deal was done.  I just bought a Troy-Bilt Horse for $200!!!  So it didn't run!  Who cares?!  Time to take her to her new home.  I wheeled it across the large yard, not really knowing what any of the levers did.  What a BEAST!!!  She was so heavy!  I needed help loading it up the ramps into my truck.  But she was mine.

We drove back through a monsoon of a storm, but not before we stopped for ice cream in a small town.  Seriously, I find it very un-American not to stop at tiny town ice cream shops.  I just HAD to.  I bought Dad a cone, and I enjoyed a lovely "blizzard."  I took a different route home, stopping by 49 acres of land I have my eye on.  If only I could figure out a way to buy it.  I am in love with land.  With tilling.  With crops.  I'll start small-scale on this Horse, but I would love to keep this story going with a John Deere tractor, too.

So starts the restoration project...

No comments:

Post a Comment