Thursday, August 6, 2015

Gearin' Up for the First Till

Through the resources on the internet, I learned that my new purchase is actually quite old.  Based off the serial number, I learned that this Horse was actually built in October 1977.  So she is 38 years old!!!  I also learned that this is the Horse I model with the Tecumseh 6.0-horsepower engine known as the HH60.  My particular Horse has had a few replacement parts, most notably the carburetor and tine guard.  So I am thankful for those!

Not knowing how previous owners take care of equipment, my first order of service was to fill up all the fluids.  Of course, before I started the engine for the first time, I checked the oil, but now I wanted to give the Beast fresh oil.  I had found numerous manuals online detailing the Horse, and I also wanted to give her a top-off of gear oil.

I drained the engine oil and filled her up with new.

Then I went to drain the gear oil.  The manuals told me it holds just under a gallon of oil.  So imagine my surprise when less than five ounces came out of the drain hole.  Hmm.  That's not good.  Actually, that's not good at all!!!

So I headed to the store to pick up some 90-W gear oil.  And sure enough, it took nearly the entire gallon.  And that's when I realized I had a problem...probably why the gear oil was empty in the first place!!!  The gear oil was dripping out from the axle seals!!!  I had a big problem on my hand, not the least of which was drops coming out fast!

The axle is a dripping mess!!!

The old seals weren't sealing anything!
I called our parts store, and thankfully they had just two seals remaining.  I made the drive out to the store and drove back.  I installed both seals in about an hour, thankful that the tires came off fairly easily.  Ok, back in business.  I again topped off the gear oil, and I waited for tomorrow's project.  My brother needs help at the horse ranch, and I volunteered the tiller to start digging a trench.

The new seal in place.
Basically, I just want to see what this girl can do!

The seals still have a couple of small drips, but the book says that is to be expected until a few hours of use.  Here's to hopin'!

Can't wait to try out the Horse tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment