Thursday, September 10, 2015

Painting the Engine

I'm not sure exactly who decided on the color for the Tecumseh HH60 engine for the Troy-Bilt Horse, but I would certainly love to sit down and have a talk with him/her.  When I first purchased the tiller, I was taken aback by the color of the engine.  The Tecumseh was a dull orange while the rest of the tiller was the undeniable Troy-Bilt red.  I just assumed the tiller's engine had been replaced sometime in the last 38 years.

But the more I researched the Horse, and the more I looked at others for sale, I kept on seeing a familiar sight:  the dull orange engine!  I didn't like it!

The somewhat orange, somewhat red Tecumseh HH60 engine.  It didn't match!

The top was very rusty.

I hated the contrast in colors!
At least not for my tiller!  So I decided to paint it.

Fortunately, the previous owner had replaced the carburetor and muffler with new, so those were in great condition.  But the cast-iron base was caked with dirt, oil, and that dull orange.  Oddly enough, it had flakes of red throughout, too, so I kind of assumed the previous owner just painted it whatever color he had on hand:  orange.  The verdict is still out!  Were these original engines orange?!

I taped off the parts of the engine I didn't want painted, and I sprayed it with a bright Cherry Red enamel.  It was turning out sharp!  I couldn't wait to see the finished product.  I LOVE working in the garage!!!

Prepping the shroud for paint.

I tried to deep the original decal on the side.

I had LOTS of dirt and grime to get off before paint.  This is the bottom of the air filter holder.
I pulled off the engine shroud, the air breather base, the gas tank mount, and the air filter cover.  I taped off the original engine stickers and sprayed away with several coats.

The newly-transformed engine shroud.

Several coats on the air breather holder, gas tank mount, and air breather cover.
I then put it all back together, and my oh my, was I thrilled.  I think it turned out SHARP!

Putting the engine back together.  What a difference!
The engine all put back together!  So sharp!

A front view.  I LOVE the new engine look.

1977 never looked so good!
Now here's the only problem:  the engine looks great!  But the rest of the tiller is now a dull and scratched-up red!  I LOVE the engine, but I think I know what I have to do.

It's time to scrape off the caked-on dirt and grease and grime and paint this entire tiller red!

No comments:

Post a Comment